The internship program at the Hagyard Equine Medical Institute is designed to provide a learning environment in which first year veterinarians:
- Sharpen their diagnostic, therapeutic, reproductive management, and decision-making skills that are crucial to well-rounded equine veterinarians.
- Learn to communicate with and manage clients through a ‘hands-on’ approach.
- Benefit from our collection of experts that provide state of- the-art veterinary care.
Field Care Internship:
Consists of rotations through Hagyard Field Care, McGee Fertility Center, McGee Medicine Center, and Davidson Surgery Center from July through December. The remainder of the year primarily consists of field responsibilities involving emergency duties both with and without a senior practitioner. The experience is very intense and extremely diverse due to the large volume of horses treated by a practice of over 40 veterinarians and the enormous referral base that Hagyard Equine Medical Institute enjoys. Interns are often housed on or near some of Kentucky’s most spectacular breeding farms.
Surgery internships are designed for those students with a sincere interest in pursuing surgical residency programs. Greater then 90% of the intern experience will take place within the Davidson Surgery Center, performing daily patient assessments, treatments, nuclear scintigraphy, anesthesia, digital radiography, MRI, as well as lameness and performance evaluations with an Equine Exercise Endoscope.
Benefits for internships include:
- Salary $25,000.00 per year
- Health and Dental Insurance
- AVMA Professional Liability Coverage
- Business Mileage Reimbursement
Prerequisites for acceptance:
- Completion in good standing of a DVM or VMD degree at an accredited university.
- A passing score on the NAVLE.
- A veterinary license and accreditation to practice in the State of Kentucky.
- All required board tests must be completed by the beginning of internship.
E-mail information to: Jamie O’Flynn at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications can be submitted throughout the year and are evaluated upon submission. October 15 is the absolute deadline. An externship is required in the applicants area of interest prior to the October 15 internship application deadline. Externships are recommended between February and May, when the caseload is higher.
- Letter of Intent addressed to Dr. Ernie Martinez.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Three letters of recommendation addressed to Dr. Ernie Martinez.
Follow us on Twitter at HagyardEDU for the most up-to-date information about internship, externship, fellowship, and undergraduate internship programs.